[Samba] difference between ldap attributes: dn or distinguishedName

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Nov 19 20:34:01 UTC 2016

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 15:13:01 -0500 (CST)
Felipe_G0NZÁLEZ_SANTIAG0 via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> When I run a ldbsearch command looking for an object, I get to
> attributes with the same values: 'dn' and 'distinguishedName'. Then,
> Is there any difference between them? If not, Why 'ldbsearch' returns
> this two attributes?

If you you run an ldbsearch for a user in AD, you should get the users
object returned, the first line will be
'dn: CN=<users name>,CN=Users,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com'

'dn' is short for 'distinguishedName' and both are included on all
objects in AD.

Rowland