[Samba] Clients can't write to group-writable files - plea for help

Josh Malone jmalone at nrao.edu
Fri Nov 18 15:11:54 UTC 2016

> OK, can I suggest you stop using either a usermap or a userscript. Try
> setting up your domain member correctly see here:

With no usermap file or script, the behavior is the same: can't write to
files you should be able to based on group membership.

> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_Samba_as_an_AD_Domain_Member
>
> and here:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Idmap_config_ad

I thought my setup was almost that, with the exception of getting unix
users from NIS instead of winbindd. Would that not work?

> As you have Mac clients, it might be a good idea to use vfs_fruit, try
> reading 'man vfs_fruit'

I'm not sure this will get us anything, particularly since Mac users
have to share files with Linux users in almost all of our workflows.

> Setup correctly, you wont have windows, Mac and Unix users, you will
> just have AD users.

Well - that might just be my complication then: We have separate
directories for Windows and Unix. They both contain the same users and
have the same uid/gid numbers, but there are two directories.

> Rowland

Thanks again,

-Josh

        Joshua Malone       Systems Administrator
      (jmalone at nrao.edu)    NRAO Charlottesville
         434-296-0263           www.nrao.edu
	434-249-5699 (mobile)