[Samba] Problem since upgrade to 4.5.1

John Gardeniers jgardeniers at objectmastery.com
Thu Nov 17 21:48:31 UTC 2016

Since upgrading our DCs to Sernet Samba v4.5.1 we are experiencing
problems using Remote Desktop from Windows boxes. The rather useless and
completely misleading error message states:

"The connection cannot be completed because the remote computer that was
reached is not the one you specified. This could be caused by an
outdated entry in the DNS cache. Try using the IP address of the
computer instead."

We are able to RDP using the IP address from a Windows machine. We are
also able to RDP by either name or address from a Linux machine. It's
only when we try to connect by name from a Windows machine that we have
this problem. It all worked perfectly fine prior to the Samba upgrade.

It most certainly is not a DNS issue but just to be ultra sure the
caches on both the client and destination boxes were flushed, We also
rebooted both machines.

The clocks were also checked against those on the DCs, with a maximum
discrepancy of one second. The time on the two DCs matched to within
0.002 seconds.

Anyone have any theories about this? Or a solution?

regards,
John