[Samba] Clients can't write to group-writable files - plea for help

Josh Malone jmalone at nrao.edu
Wed Nov 16 15:36:58 UTC 2016

On 11/16/16 8:44 AM, Josh Malone via samba wrote:

> Okay - so it's getting the right values for my user, but coming up with
> the wrong permissions on the file I'm trying to access. Any idea why?
>
> I've been trying to debug this for days now - every build I make on Red
> Hat Enterprise 6 does this. However, running Samba under Ubuntu server
> behaves correctly in the same AD/NFS environment.
>
> I've found another RHEL6 server here that's not showing the problem, so
> I'm going to try to diff the 2 boxes and see what's up.
>
> -Josh

I've tracked the problem down to some squirrely magic in username
mapping. I don't understand it, but the other server had a username map
script that just returns the same thing it was called with 99% of the
time. If I use that script instead of my empty usermap.cfg file, things
work properly. If i leave out the map entirely (no script, no file )
things fail as before.

What does a normal "everything matches on windows and unix" username map
file need to look like?

Thanks again,

-Josh

        Joshua Malone       Systems Administrator
      (jmalone at nrao.edu)    NRAO Charlottesville
         434-296-0263           www.nrao.edu
	434-249-5699 (mobile)