[Samba] Need help with printer drivers

Aaron Lewis the.warl0ck.1989 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 05:23:32 UTC 2016

Thanks Rowland. I've followed the guide on that page, the following
page looks good:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configuring_Point%27n%27Print_automatic_printer_driver_deployment

However, when I try to add a driver with "Print Management" to the
Samba server, I got an access denied error.

Here's how I did it.
------------------------

1. create a user with smbpasswd, work:work
2. change myprinter configuration and add a write list

[myprinter]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/printers
valid users = work
write list = work
read only = No
printable = Yes
printer name = My Printer

3. on windows7 client, use work:work to authenticate,
    first run net use \\172.16.177.200\myprinter
    now \\172.16.177.200\myprinter is accessible

    Open Print Management, add 172.16.177.200 as a printer, then in
Drivers, right click and select Add Driver, a dialog popsup "Failed to
add driver, Access denied"

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 11:02 PM, Rowland Penny via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Nov 2016 22:50:04 +0800
> Aaron Lewis via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello, I've posted the question here,
>> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/312654/serving-print-driver-through-samba
>>
>> In short, I have a printer configuration
>>
>> ```
>> [myprinter]
>>     comment = Printer Drivers
>>     path = /var/lib/samba/printers
>>     guest ok = Yes
>>     printable = Yes
>>     printer name = My Printer
>> ```
>>
>> However windows will not find/load the drivers, so what files should I
>> place in that?
>>
>> I need to make it work for Windows 7 or later
>>

> Have you read this:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_print_server
>
> Rowland
>
> --

Best Regards,
Aaron Lewis - PGP: 0x13714D33 - http://pgp.mit.edu/
Finger Print:   9F67 391B B770 8FF6 99DC  D92D 87F6 2602 1371 4D33