[Samba] suddenly unable to mount shares with hostname

Andreas Oster aoster at novanetwork.de
Wed Nov 9 16:46:12 UTC 2016

Hello all,

my name is Andreas and today I have run into a problem which I am not
able to fix by myself.

In our company we have a samba file server (Version 4.3.11-Ubuntu) which
till doday did work without any problems. Unfortunately this is not the
case anymore. Since today we are no longer able to mount network shares
on this serverusing the servers dns hostname. The server complains about
wrong username or password. Using the same credentials but using the
hosts IP address instead of the DNS name does still work.
The DNS hostname is resolvable. This server is a member server in a
domain (samba-ad-dc).

Does anyone have an idea what could be the problem ?

here a part of the current smb.conf (real domain name replaced):

[global]
         workgroup = EXAMPLE
         realm = EXAMPLE.LOC
         server string = Samba Server %v
         interfaces = 127.0.0.0/8 eth0
         bind interfaces only = Yes
         server role = member server
         security = ADS
         map to guest = Bad User
         obey pam restrictions = Yes
         log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
         max log size = 1000
         max xmit = 65535
         printcap name = cups
         os level = 65
         preferred master = Yes
         domain master = No
         dns proxy = No
         template homedir = /iSCSI/homes/%U
         template shell = /bin/bash
         winbind enum users = Yes
         winbind enum groups = Yes
         winbind use default domain = Yes
         winbind refresh tickets = Yes
         idmap config EXAMPLE:backend = rid
         idmap config EXAMPLE:range = 10000-20000
         idmap config *:range = 10000-20000
         idmap config * : backend = tdb
         map acl inherit = Yes
         store dos attributes = Yes