[Samba] samba with customized ldap backend (fwd)

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Nov 9 10:38:26 UTC 2016

On Wed, 9 Nov 2016 15:46:15 +0530 (IST)
Arun Gupta <arung at cdac.in> wrote:

> Sir,
>
> As you suggested I have already done this settings ('ldap_user_name
> =username') 3 year back and due to this our users are able to login
> in various service like ssh, imap, pop by sssd service but not able
> to connect/authenticate by samba.
>
> As you know in my case due to our customized ldap which start
> 'uid=numericID' instead of 'uid=username' samba is not able to find
> the user. When I checked the logs it always trying to find the user
> 'uid=username' I think somewhere in smb.conf it may be possble that
> we can define attribute, please suggest.
>

> requirement we are trying to
> configure  am already changed to 'ldap_user_name =username' instead
> of 'ldap_user_name =uid'
>

> etc which was possible with the bel

OK, you have a strange setup, I have suggested how you could possibly
configure sssd or nslcd and neither work.

I have also pointed out that by using sssd or nslcd, Samba is NOT doing
the authentication.

So, as far as I can see, you have two options, either change your setup
to use proper uid's or ask on the relevant list:

https://lists.fedorahosted.org/admin/lists/sssd-users.lists.fedorahosted.org/

Or

https://lists.arthurdejong.org/nss-pam-ldapd-users/

If what you are trying to do is possible with sssd or nslcd, then
one of the links should help you, I am fairly sure you do not have a
Samba problem.

Rowland