[Samba] samba with customized ldap backend (fwd)

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Nov 8 13:51:35 UTC 2016

On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 17:06:16 +0530 (IST)
Arun Gupta <arung at cdac.in> wrote:

> Sir,
>
> below is smb.conf file;
>
> [global]
>  	workgroup = CDAC
>  	server string = Samba Server Version %v
>  	security = DOMAIN
>  	passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://10.208.1.211/
>  	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>  	max log size = 50
>  	client signing = required
>  	ldap admin dn = cn=manager,dc=cdac,dc=in
>  	ldap passwd sync = only
>  	ldap suffix = ou=User,dc=cdac,dc=in
>  	ldap ssl = no
>  	template shell = /bin/bash
>  	idmap config * : backend = tdb
>
> [netlogon]
>  	comment = Network Logon Service
>  	path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon/scripts
>  	read only = No
>  	browseable = No
>
> [homes]
>  	comment = Home Directories
>  	path = /home/%u
>  	read only = No
>  	browseable = No
>
> [sambashare]
>  	path = /sambashare
>  	read only = No
>  	guest ok = Yes
>

> ----------------------------
> nslcd isn't Samba's either.
>
> Samba recommends using winbind and as such, supports any problems with
> its use.
>
> So, as you are looking for advice, then here it is, try using winbind.
>
> I also don't remember you posting your smb.conf, so, if after trying
> winbind you still have problems, post your smb.conf
>
> Rowland

I give in, your problem is likely that sssd and nslcd are searching for
the wrong attribute for your user

This is all from my archives, so things might have changed:

To specify what attribute to use for a users name instead of uid:

sssd:

edit sssd.conf, find the line 'ldap_user_name =' change it to
'ldap_user_name = username'

nslcd:

edit nslcd.conf, find the line 'map    passwd uid' change it to 'map
passwd uid  username'

See if this fixes your problem.

Rowland