[Samba] How can I setup a Domain Controller and File Server on the same hardware

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Nov 5 20:02:42 UTC 2016

On Sat, 05 Nov 2016 12:15:49 -0700
Linda W via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

>     Is there a target date for when the 4.x server will be able to
> support 1 samba instance being the domain controller and serving files
> as the 3.x server is able to do?

You can already do this.

>     I have been waiting for the 4.x server to become a full server
> before upgrading from 3.6.22, but it is getting a bit long in the
> tooth. The requirement that in upgrading to 4.x I'll still need to run
> a 3.6 server made the upgrade seem like alot of work for little gain
> (I only have a few users and most of them are "virtual me's"...).

Samba 4 is capable of being a full AD DC.

>     I guess I don't understand why the 3.6.x file-serving code wasn't
> just included in the 4.x.  On some level, at *worst*, it seems like
> the 4.x code could include all the 3.6 file-serving code and just
> fork the that portion for files to be shared -- not ideal, but it
> *seems* better than "recommending" multiple machines.  I did say
> "seems", as I don't know why it is suggested they be separate, so
> please forgive my ignorance in advance.  I've been off the list (not
> by choice) due to some mail-server snafu that only affects the samba
> list, so it's been impossible to track.  For some reason the problem
> has, (at least temporarily) gone away (I hate unexplained solutions
> almost as much as unexplained problems).

If you are referring to the fileserving code in 'smbd', then again it is
included in Samba 4, the 'samba' binary has been starting 'smbd' for
some time now.

If you use the DC as a fileserver, then there are a few minor problems
you need to work around, mostly to do with IDs

Rowland