[Samba] adding Windows client reverse dns entries

Bob of Donelson Trophy bob at donelsontrophy.net
Sat Nov 5 13:43:05 UTC 2016

On 2016-11-05 08:21, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Nov 2016 08:07:18 -0500
> Bob of Donelson Trophy via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> On 2016-11-05 07:46, Mike Lykov via samba wrote:
>
> 05.11.2016 16:09, Bob of Donelson Trophy via samba пишет:
>
> Once again, reading here and there and I am confused.
>
> I thought the W clients (both W7 and W10) reverse dns PTR records
> where added by the ADDC automatically.
>
> This mornings testing (nslookup of client IP addresses) is not
> finding clients via their IP addresses. (Forward lookups via
> hostname work fine.)
> What samba version do you use?
> Early samba4 versions does not support (or have a buggy support)
> for auto-register PTR recors, as far i remember.
>
> In my 4.1.9 it is also not working, if it fixed  - I'm interested
> in what version.
>
> --
> Mike

V4.5.0 on Ubuntu 16.04.1LTS for the DC's

V4.3.11 on Ubuntu 16.04.1LTS on member

Hi Bob, try looking in syslog, is there anything like this:

samba_dlz: disallowing update of signer=WIN7-PC\$\@SAMDOM.EXAMPLE.COM

Rowland

No, none like that. I see other samba_dlz entries of a positive nature.

Thoughts? (Could this have anything to do with my recent dns issue? Is
some record missing?)