[Samba] Logins differ for ip/DNS on ad dc

Maximilian Kirchner max.kirchner at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 06:06:19 UTC 2016

I set up a samba ad dc (self compiled samba 4.5.1 on Ubuntu 16.04). If I connect to the server via \\smb.wie (its dns name) I can access netlogon and sysvol. If I connect via its IP then I can access all my shares (test as an example) - but either way I cannot connect to the other (I do see them though). Windows always tells me the login credentials would be wrong for the other one.

This is my config:

[global]
    netbios name = SRV
    realm = SMB.WIE
    server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl, winbindd, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
    workgroup = SMB
    idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes

    interfaces = bond0:0
    bind interfaces only = yes

    winbind enum users = Yes
    winbind enum groups = Yes
    winbind use default domain = Yes
    winbind refresh tickets = Yes
    winbind nested groups = No
    #winbind separator = +

    idmap backend = tdb
    idmap uid = 10000 - 20000
    idmap gid = 10000 - 20000
    idmap config DOMAIN : backend = rid
    idmap config DOMAIN : range   = 10000 - 20000

    passdb backend = tdbsam  # should be default

    domain logons = yes
 [netlogon]
    path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/smb.wie/scripts
    read only = No

 [sysvol]
    read only = No

 [test]
    path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/test
    read only = No

And this the access rights:
Result of ll /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/test

drwxrwx---+ 5 root users 4096 Nov 1 19:42 ./
Result of ll /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol

drwxrwx---+ 5 root users 4096 Nov 1 19:50 ./
log.smbd only tells me the server started successfully and log.samba throws the following warning which I found on the net to ignore:
samba: setproctitle not initialized, please either call setproctitle_init() or link against libbsd-ctor.

I guess it is due to this error that profile synchronization also does not work which is why I need to fix this.