[Samba] debugging bind9_DLZ

Bob of Donelson Trophy bob at donelsontrophy.net
Fri Nov 4 16:15:47 UTC 2016

On 2016-11-04 10:55, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Nov 2016 08:04:44 -0500
> Bob of Donelson Trophy via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> On wiki page
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/BIND9_DLZ_DNS_Back_End#Reconfiguring_the_BIND9_DLZ_Back_End
>> in the "Debugging the Bind Module" the section discusses the location
>> for the log file.
>>
>> The /etc/named.log says "bash: bind: -g: cannot read: No such file or
>> directory" . . . I am puzzled, what "file or directory" is being
>> referenced?
>>
>> My "nslookup xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" are failing. (nslookup hostname works) I
>> have tried deleting the reverse zone and re-adding it and when I
>> query, I get:
>>
>> root at dtxxx04:~# samba-tool dns query 192.168.xxx.50
>> xxx.168.192.in-addr.arpa @ ALL
>> Password for [administrator at DTxxxM.DT]:
>> ERROR(runtime): uncaught exception - (9714,
>> 'WERR_DNS_ERROR_NAME_DOES_NOT_EXIST')
>> File
>> "/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.7/site-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py",
>> line 176, in _run
>> return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
>> File
>> "/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.7/site-packages/samba/netcmd/dns.py",
>> line 998, in run
>> None, record_type, select_flags, None, None)
>>
>> I found a reference in an older mailing list posting and near the end
>> of the thread, the OP mentions that "resorted to dsupdate -g" to get
>> it to add the reverse zone. I do not know how to dsupdate (This
>> "dsupdate" is from memory and might slightly incorrect about the
>> command.)
>>
>> Bottom line, samba-tool cannot add the reverse entries I need.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>>
>> --
>> _______________________________
>>
>> Bob Wooden of Donelson Trophy
>
> Try looking in the system log (syslog on debian, messages on red hat)
>
> As for your reverse records, are you sure the reverse zone exists, your
> command works for me.
>
> Rowland

Well, good question. As I am unfamiliar, I think so.

I tried Loius suggestion but got the DNS_ERROR. This is the error I am
finding alot.

Here is query and zonelist:

root at dtdc03:~# samba-tool dns query dtdc03 xxx.168.192.in-addr.arpa 49
PTR
ERROR(runtime): uncaught exception - (9714,
'WERR_DNS_ERROR_NAME_DOES_NOT_EXIST')
  File
"/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.7/site-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py",
line 176, in _run
    return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
  File
"/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.7/site-packages/samba/netcmd/dns.py", line
998, in run
    None, record_type, select_flags, None, None)
root at dtdc03:~# samba-tool dns zonelist dtdc03
  3 zone(s) found

  pszZoneName                 : xxx.168.192.in-appr.arpa
  Flags                       : DNS_RPC_ZONE_DSINTEGRATED
DNS_RPC_ZONE_UPDATE_SECURE
  ZoneType                    : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
  Version                     : 50
  dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED DNS_DP_DOMAIN_DEFAULT
DNS_DP_ENLISTED
  pszDpFqdn                   : DomainDnsZones.dtshrm.dt

  pszZoneName                 : dtshrm.dt
  Flags                       : DNS_RPC_ZONE_DSINTEGRATED
DNS_RPC_ZONE_UPDATE_SECURE
  ZoneType                    : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
  Version                     : 50
  dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED DNS_DP_DOMAIN_DEFAULT
DNS_DP_ENLISTED
  pszDpFqdn                   : DomainDnsZones.dtshrm.dt

  pszZoneName                 : _msdcs.dtshrm.dt
  Flags                       : DNS_RPC_ZONE_DSINTEGRATED
DNS_RPC_ZONE_UPDATE_SECURE
  ZoneType                    : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
  Version                     : 50
  dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED DNS_DP_FOREST_DEFAULT
DNS_DP_ENLISTED
  pszDpFqdn                   : ForestDnsZones.dtshrm.dt

These three look correct, but I am not sure as I am not familiar with
this detail.

If it matters, I have two DC's but neither will reversedns. (Thought I
had this working and discovered, yesterday that one DC was not working
properly. Went through my entire setup again, on both DC's, last night
and now cannot add reversedns to either DC.) All other dns testing
checks out.

Basically I keep being told, though log files and other, that the zone
does not exist.

At this point I am a little confused but, bottom line is I cannot add
any reversedns zones to resolve my nslookup xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx failure
issue to either DC. I am puzzled.

What else would you like to see? log files?