[Samba] debugging bind9_DLZ

Bob of Donelson Trophy bob at donelsontrophy.net
Fri Nov 4 13:04:44 UTC 2016

On wiki page
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/BIND9_DLZ_DNS_Back_End#Reconfiguring_the_BIND9_DLZ_Back_End
in the "Debugging the Bind Module" the section discusses the location
for the log file.

The /etc/named.log says "bash: bind: -g: cannot read: No such file or
directory" . . . I am puzzled, what "file or directory" is being
referenced?

My "nslookup xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" are failing. (nslookup hostname works) I
have tried deleting the reverse zone and re-adding it and when I query,
I get:

root at dtxxx04:~# samba-tool dns query 192.168.xxx.50
xxx.168.192.in-addr.arpa @ ALL
Password for [administrator at DTxxxM.DT]:
ERROR(runtime): uncaught exception - (9714,
'WERR_DNS_ERROR_NAME_DOES_NOT_EXIST')
  File
"/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.7/site-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py",
line 176, in _run
    return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
  File
"/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.7/site-packages/samba/netcmd/dns.py", line
998, in run
    None, record_type, select_flags, None, None)

I found a reference in an older mailing list posting and near the end of
the thread, the OP mentions that "resorted to dsupdate -g" to get it to
add the reverse zone. I do not know how to dsupdate (This "dsupdate" is
from memory and might slightly incorrect about the command.)

Bottom line, samba-tool cannot add the reverse entries I need.

Suggestions?