[Samba] server services line

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Nov 4 09:24:15 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-11-03 at 18:40 +0000, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Nov 2016 14:15:57 -0400
> lingpanda101 via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>

> > On 11/3/2016 2:03 PM, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

> > > Hi Andrew,
> > >
> > > Pardon ???
> > >
> > > The guy was asking about 'winbindd' & 'winbind' and you seem to
> > > be
> > > talking about dns.
> > >
> > > In answer to lingpanda101, the wiki is correct, but could be
> > > worded
> > > better, 'winbind' isn't recommended over 'winbindd'.
> > >
> > > Rowland
> > >

> > Rowland,
> >
> >      That's what I meant. It sounded as if winbind was preferred
> > over
> > winbindd. Thanks for the clarification.
> >

> I have altered the wiki page, it now says that you can change from
> the
> recommended 'winbindd' to the older 'winbind'

My point is that there is no longer an internal winbind in any
supported version of samba, only winbindd, the long-standing codebase
currently under source3/

The server services parser accepts either name and treats them
identically.

In terms of -dns, my point is that this configuration, turning on or
off the DNS server, is the only reason that an administrator should
ever need to deal with 'server services'.  The defaults work just fine
otherwise.

The original plan for the parameter was never to have the full list of
default services exposed, just to list the changes (eg -dns for no DNS
server).  Had that been better implemented, we wouldn't be having this
discussion, it just would have remained under the hood.

Andrew Bartlett