[Samba] Problems with GPO

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Nov 4 09:10:46 UTC 2016

Just make it yourself a bit more easy.

Setup sysvol like this.

[sysvol]
        path = /home/samba/sysvol
        read only = No
        acl_xattr:ignore system acls = yes

Restart samba, and set the SHARE RIGHTS and File/Folder rights again.
Or atleast check them, the defaults should be ok.

When thats done.
Go here. :
http://trekker.net/archives/group-policy-downloads/
get the ADMX templates you need.

Win 10 build 1607 is not on that site, found here :
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53430

and for otheres, install this in win 7 and copy the templates to the sysvol.
( located somewhere in programfiles )

Extra usable templates here:
http://winintro.com/

now, when thats done, and this if more for you.

Does the user bacci need Domain Admin.
Like is it you replacement for user Administrator?  Then thats ok.
If its a normal user which needs todo GPO stuff. Then i suggest adding this user to "Group Policy Creator Owners" and dont abuse the domain admin group.

So this is the basic stuff go a GPO setup.

Now, about the error :
ERROR(runtime): uncaught exception  ...
You can ignore it IF you use the parameter : acl_xattr:ignore system acls = yes
Or, move all folder from sysvol, do the sysvol reset, and place the folders back, that can help.

I do advice to setup GID for "Domain -" Users/Admins/Guest and most important. "Domain Computers" .. now we are getting to you problem.

Due to all MS changes, how policies are applies has changes.

The user setting is not applied anymore by the user, but by the computer.
This is key to remember.

So for every policy you set you need one the these groups.

1) authenticated users  ( users and computer accounts ) ( preffered )
2) Domain users + any group  this is a group for applying the GPO.
3) Domain computers/ any computer group

In option 1, nothing special is needed.
In option 2, you must set read GPO polices for domain users, and read+apply for the custom group.
In option 3, same as option 2. but this is only for a computer policie.

If you have problem like, GPO applies from one server, but the other dc.
Run : net cache flush
Stop samba on both DC's and copy the idmap.tdb from DC1 to DC2.

About you setup and config, looks all fine to me, exept.
> 117, in dc_url
>     raise RuntimeError("Could not find a DC for domain", e

Please post you resolv.conf /etc/hosts /etc/nsswitch.conf
And are you using bind_DLZ or internal samba DNS

Greetz,

Louis