[Samba] Samba and BTRFS server-side copy

Saint Germain saintger at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 20:08:31 UTC 2016

On Thu, 3 Nov 2016 20:41:14 +0100, Achim Gottinger via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote :

> Am 02.11.2016 um 20:32 schrieb Saint Germain via samba:
> > On Wed, 2 Nov 2016 16:45:31 +0100, Achim Gottinger via samba
> > <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote :

> >> This must be set on the clients smb.conf not on the server!
> > Ah ! I didn't understood that.
> > Why is "server min protocol" not enough when set on the server ?
> >
> > Anyway I tried with "client min protocol = SMB2_10" on the client,
> > and indeed the connection is now SMB2_10.
> > However it is not possible to copy anymore through Nautilus
> > ("Invalid argument" error) or through command-line (also "Invalid
> > argument").
> >
> > No problem at all when the protocol is NT1 and there is nothing at
> > all in the logs (syslog = 10 on both server and client smb.conf).
> >
> > Thanks for the help !
> >
> gvfs never worked flawless here. I can copy files from amd to the
> server but if i try to copy an folder with files it error.
> With libreoffice i always have to safe an file under an different
> name because it does not let me overwrite on an gvfs samba share.
> Afterwards i can delete the old file and rename the new file without
> errors. But it makes no difference if i use smb1 or smb2 here.

Indeed with SMB2 protocol, I can copy a file but not directory with
files.
However with scopy, the copy is instantaneous (thanks to BTRFS reflink),
but with Nautilus/Gvfs the copy is very slow (it is perhaps not even
server-side).
If you have a samba server with BTRFS, can you confirm that ?

Thanks !