[Samba] server services line

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Nov 3 15:58:32 UTC 2016

On Thu, 03 Nov 2016 10:43:45 -0500
Bob of Donelson Trophy via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Rowland,
>
> I have seen you state this before that "server services" line within a
> smb.conf file is not necessary on a DC.
>
> I have to ask, and it may have been asked before but, I recently
> install from source the v4.5.0 and during provisioning samba created
> that "line" within the smb.conf file.
>
> I understand what and why your saying this but, if the line is not
> needed then why does provisioning a ADDC create the line?

Bob, I didn't say the line isn't required, I said that 'server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl,
winbind, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate' and 'server services = -dns' meant
the same thing.

If you provision with the internal dns server, you do not get a 'server
services' line in smb.conf, but if you provision with Bind9, you get
the first line above.
If you provision with the internal dns server and then change to Bind9,
you can add either of the two lines above, either will turn off the
internal dns server.

Rowland