[Samba] Can't access to \\ip and some cname after migration from samba 3 to samba 4.4.5

Trenta sis trenta.sis at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 18:37:49 UTC 2016

hi gaiseric,

I have configured client with dhcp with same results and also disabled
netbios in networking, in client and server, to enforce 445 but without
success error persist...
about regedit keys, doesn't exist boths machines, client and server, are
windows 2003
I have made some additional tests and I have detected an strange situation
same machine with one user fails to use \\ip and from same machine wit
another user works....?? at this moment 2 users failing and more than 20
working....
very strange... I don't know where is the problem and how to find...

thanks

Are the clients using static IP addresses (or DHCP reservations with DNS
names?) Maybe server is trying to do a reverse DNS lookup on clients. Can
you do a tcpdump or similar - watch a connection from a client machine
using server name, then watch from the same client using IP. What ports are
open on the server? In the past, packet captures would show windows PC's
connecting on port 445 (CIFS/SMB over tcp/ip) then reconnect on port 139
(netbios over tcp/ip) . (This was with a classic domain so 445 should not
have been used but disabling it would cause problems.) Maybe clients are
still trying to connect to port 139 which would not longer be relevant
port. Are you running windows 7 ? With classic domains, you had to change
make some registry changes
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Required_Settings_for_Samba_NT4_Domains
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManWorkstation\Parameters]
"DomainCompatibilityMode"=dword:00000001
"DNSNameResolutionRequired"=dword:00000000 Does removing those changes make
a difference ?