[Samba] [samba_upgradedns] Error parsing DNS data

Bouke J. Henstra bouke at ict-diensten.com
Sat May 28 20:57:06 UTC 2016

​Hello Andrew,

Thank you for your reply (very much appreciated).

> I take it you are trying to move from the flatfile based bind to internal.

That is correct

> The samba_upgradedns script is pretty simple, and uses the
> dnspython library to read zone files.  It certainly could be
> the case that it just can't read the zone file after bind9
> has been doing dynamic updates on it.

> Perhaps get a newer dnspython lib on your system,
> and see if that helps.

I have installed the most recent version I could find at:
https://github.com/rthalley/dnspython

The script samba_upgradedns returns the following error:
Error parsing DNS data from '/opt/samba/private/dns/TH01.INET.zone' (The
DNS zone has no SOA RR at its origin.)

This could mean that I should add a Start of Authority Resource Record at
the top of the TH01.INET.zone file to make it work/acceptable? I am
considering to create a backup of this file and try again with a SOA RR.

I am only a little bit worried about the second exception.

Please note: I just did upgrade to Samba 4.4.3 (as I do want to change over
to Samba's internal DNS).

The returned error is:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./samba_upgradedns", line 317, in <module>
    ncname = msg[0]['nCName'][0]
KeyError: 'No such element'

> In many ways you are lucky, as this script is a little too lax
> with the exception handling, and any error at all means it will
> just re-create the DNS data from scratch, without importing the data
> (please file a bug).

I will file a bug as soon as possible.

> The second exception (on ncName) is fixed in 4.4.
> Sorry,
> Andrew Bartlett

Does this mean that the script would end without issues when I add a SOA RR
to the zone file combined with a fix regarding to the second exception? Note:
I just did upgrade to Samba 4.4.3.

Please find my console output below.

root at comsrv01a:/opt/samba/sbin# service samba4 stop && service bind9 stop
samba4 stop/waiting
 * Stopping domain name service... bind9
 waiting for pid 3322 to die
[ OK ]

root at comsrv01a:/opt/samba/sbin# ./samba_upgradedns
--dns-backend=SAMBA_INTERNAL
lpcfg_load: refreshing parameters from /opt/samba/etc/smb.conf
Reading domain information
lpcfg_load: refreshing parameters from /opt/samba/etc/smb.conf
DNS accounts already exist
Reading records from zone file /opt/samba/private/dns/TH01.INET.zone
Error parsing DNS data from '/opt/samba/private/dns/TH01.INET.zone' (The
DNS zone has no SOA RR at its origin.)
DNS records will be automatically created
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./samba_upgradedns", line 317, in <module>
    ncname = msg[0]['nCName'][0]
KeyError: 'No such element'

root at comsrv01a:/opt/samba/sbin# service bind9 start && service samba4 start
 * Starting domain name service... bind9
 [ OK ]
samba4 start/running, process 7693

root at comsrv01a:/opt/samba/sbin# ./samba --version
Version 4.4.3

Many thanks for your help/reply.

Kind regards,

Bouke

--

This message (and any associated files) may contain confidential and/or
privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient or authorized