[Samba] How to move a Samba4 installation from one folder to another

Julian Timm X-Dimension at gmx.net
Sat May 28 20:48:51 UTC 2016

> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 25. Mai 2016 um 12:39 Uhr
> Von: "Andrew Bartlett" <abartlet at samba.org>
> An: "Julian Timm" <X-Dimension at gmx.net>, samba at lists.samba.org
> Betreff: Re: [Samba] How to move a Samba4 installation from one folder to another
>
> On Mon, 2016-05-16 at 14:45 +0200, Julian Timm wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > We have used Samba 4.1 as an AD-DC for a long time. Our installation
> > based on Ubuntu 12.04 and Zentyal 3.2 Samba packages.
> > Now we want to upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04 and a newer Samba version
> > (latest Ubuntu Version is 4.3.9). The problem is, that
> > Zentyal 3.2 has used /opt/samba4 as installation path before, but all
> > new Samba 4 versions are installed to /var/lib/samba now.
> > How can we migrate our Samba 4 installation from /opt/samba4 to
> > /var/lib/samba? Simply move the Samba directory and change the bind9
> > configuration does not work at all. We use Samba also as a print
> > server and after moving the samba directory all printers and printer
> > drivers are not shown anymore in the Windows printer administration
> > tool.
> >
> > Can anybody help us to migrate our Samba installation?
> > Thx
>
> In a test VM, just re-provision Samba, then learning from where that
> puts the files, move the files to the new correct locations.  Finish
> with a samba_upgradedns --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ to fix the hard links.
>
> Or do the reverse, by setting the various paths in the 'new' smb.conf
> to point at your old installation directories.
>
> The most critical paths are 'private dir' and what [netlogon] and
> [sysvol] point at, but of course there are other persistent tdbs like
> printing that may matter on a site-to-site basis.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Andrew Bartlett
>
> --
> Andrew Bartlett                       http://samba.org/~abartlet/
> Authentication Developer, Samba Team  http://samba.org
> Samba Developer, Catalyst IT          http://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Thank you Andrew!

The only thing that is not working after the upgrade is the samba/cups print server.
In /var/log/samba/smb.log i get this errors:

Unable to connect to CUPS server localhost:631 - Bad file descriptor
failed to retrieve printer list: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL

My smb.conf print options are:

[global]
        spoolss: architecture = Windows x64
        rpc_server:spoolss = external
        rpc_daemon:spoolssd = fork

[printers]
    comment = shared printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = Yes
    read only = No
    printable = Yes
    printing = CUPS

[print$]
    comment = print drivers
    path = /var/lib/samba/printers
    read only = No

I don't see my printers in the Microsoft RSAT printer management tool and this tool also don't show the Windows printer drivers stored in /var/lib/samba/printers.

How can i fix this?