[Samba] After some time 4.3.9 Member Server in different Subnet than ADS controller loses trust

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu May 26 07:43:26 UTC 2016

On 26/05/16 06:36, Thomas Burger (tburger at eritron.de) wrote:
> Hello Louis,
>
> thanks for your answer. I was afraid of an answer like this though. I
> hoped to stay with the distribution packages so a maintenance is more
> comfortable and easier.
>
> At least a manual installation of 4.4.3 looks quite complicated to me.
> I am not unexperienced in terms of Linux but have not risked it yet to
> compile software.

No, it is very easy, it just takes up some of your time :-)

> What I have found is this guide:
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/cvs/basicnet/samba.html
>
> Is this the approach you would take as well?

If you follow that, it will replace your already installed samba files
and an update to these could again replace your samba files.

> Are there any packages maintained I can use "right away" for the
> underlying Ubuntu 14.04 LTS I am using? My research was not successful
> and it seems from the Ubuntu side none are provided newer than 4.3.9.
> Even on the 16.04 LTS branch.

You seem to be correct, Ubuntu doesn't seem to have noticed that 4.4.3
is in debian sid and I thought Ubuntu was based on sid.

Your best plan would be to just:

sudo apt-get install acl attr autoconf bison build-essential \
debhelper dnsutils docbook-xml docbook-xsl flex gdb krb5-user \
libacl1-dev libaio-dev libattr1-dev libblkid-dev libbsd-dev \
libcap-dev libcups2-dev libgnutls28-dev libjson-perl \
libldap2-dev libncurses5-dev libpam0g-dev libparse-yapp-perl \
libpopt-dev libreadline-dev perl perl-modules pkg-config \
python-all-dev python-dev python-dnspython python-crypto \
xsltproc zlib1g-dev

As a normal user:

cd /usr/src
wget https://download.samba.org/pub/samba/stable/samba-4.4.3.tar.gz
tar zxf samba-4.4.3.tar.gz
./configure
make
sudo make install

This will install Samba into /usr/local/samba and you will now need to
alter $Path so that /usr/local/samba gets searched first:

echo "PATH=/usr/local/samba/bin:/usr/local/samba/sbin:\$PATH" >
/etc/profile.d/samba4.sh
export PATH=/usr/local/samba/bin:/usr/local/samba/sbin:$PATH

Now create a domain member smb.conf in /usr/local/samba/etc
Alter the paths in the Samba init files to start the smbd, nmbd and
winbindd binaries in /usr/local/samba/sbin instead of the ones in /usr/sbin

Start Samba

Rowland