[Samba] Problems with OS X 10.11.5

Seth Goldin sethgoldin at gmail.com
Thu May 26 02:46:53 UTC 2016

Hello,

I just wanted to check in on this list and see what folks know about the
new severe performance problems with OS X 10.11.5.

There's a long thread on the Apple Support Communities site:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7565683

There's a comment on Reddit claiming that 10.11.5 is requiring SMB signing,
but I haven't found documentation on that:
https://www.reddit.com/r/macsysadmin/comments/4l1zq0/os_x_10115_has_caused_severe_smb_performance/d3jo4nd

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206567

I myself saw performance on my 10 GbE go from 800 MB/s on 10.11.4 to 60
MB/s on 10.11.5. My NAS is running Samba 4.3.6 on FreeNAS, which is a
FreeBSD derivative.

I'd love the reassurance that whoever can fix this is doing so--either the
Apple developers or the Samba developers.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Seth Goldin