[Samba] samba4 AD - winbind Could not write result

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Tue May 24 09:15:35 UTC 2016

Hi,

A word about DNS resolver set up on DC.

MS really advise to set first resolver pointing to some other DC. The
reason Microsoft gave to me is:
when booting a MS DC waits for [others than DNS] AD [parts] to be up before
running before starting DNS service but to start [others than DNS] AD
[parts] Windows server send some DNS requests, without response to these
DNS requests Windows server do not start [others than DNS] AD [parts]...
After some time MS Windows Servers finally start DNS service and the rest
of AD : )

To work around that issue MS advise to set up DNS resolver on DC to aim
another DC.

IIRC this limitation was removed with MS Windows Server 2012.

Here all my Samba4 DC are running DNS service, all of them are configured
to send DNS requests to themselves and all these DC are working well,
starting well, synching well.

What all that means:
Samba team developed its software nicely enough to avoid that mistake MS
did and so the need to set up DC's resolver to aim another DC is not needed
at all on Samba DC.

Have a nice day all,

mathias