[Samba] [OT] Re: Ransomware?

Olivier Olivier.Nicole at cs.ait.ac.th
Mon May 23 06:28:59 UTC 2016

ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMargo at zoho.com> writes:

> On 05/20/2016 06:31 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> Those can also
>> often be made accessible by Samba as read-only CIFS shares, for people
>> to recover their own files. It's invaluable for people not to have to
>> bother their local sysadmin to get last night's copy of the files they
>> just accidentally deleted. They will appreciate your thoughtfulness,
>> and you can get back to playing Minecraft.
>
> Hi Nico,
>
> That is actually brilliant idea.  I have a Samba server coming up
> in a few weeks.  I think I will implement that.  Thank you!

There are pros and cons to an easy recovery mechanism. Sure, at first it
eases the life of the people who manage the system, but some users may
start relying to heavily on the recovery service, in a way that becomes
unhealthy, back-up being used as a secondary storage instead of being
what it is meant to be: a back-up.

That is why I rather beleive in a strong policy that defines what are
the valid motives for restoration: crashes, etc. (reckless file deletion
not being a valid one) and a loosy enforcement of the policy, and also
having users jumps thought enough hoops so that they do not abuse the
service.

BR,

Olivier