[Samba] How to move a Samba4 installation from one folder to another

Julian Timm X-Dimension at gmx.net
Sun May 22 21:09:34 UTC 2016

> Gesendet: Montag, 16. Mai 2016 um 17:00 Uhr
> Von: "Rowland penny" <rpenny at samba.org>
> An: samba at lists.samba.org
> Betreff: Re: [Samba] How to move a Samba4 installation from one folder to another
>
> On 16/05/16 13:45, Julian Timm wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > We have used Samba 4.1 as an AD-DC for a long time. Our installation based on Ubuntu 12.04 and Zentyal 3.2 Samba packages.
> > Now we want to upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04 and a newer Samba version (latest Ubuntu Version is 4.3.9). The problem is, that
> > Zentyal 3.2 has used /opt/samba4 as installation path before, but all new Samba 4 versions are installed to /var/lib/samba now.
> > How can we migrate our Samba 4 installation from /opt/samba4 to /var/lib/samba? Simply move the Samba directory and change the bind9 configuration does not work at all. We use Samba also as a print server and after moving the samba directory all printers and printer drivers are not shown anymore in the Windows printer administration tool.
> >
> > Can anybody help us to migrate our Samba installation?
> > Thx
> >
> > Julian
> >

> Easiest way would be to set up a second machine and join this to the
> Zentyal machine as another DC. Then transfer all of the FSMO roles
> (there are 7) to the new DC, demote the first DC and there you are.
>
> Rowland
>

> --

Thanks Rowland

Setting up a new server is not an option for as at the moment because we are running other services on the system that also must be migrated to a new server.

I've tried to do a test-migration of the server again today like the way i did it before.
It really looks like the only thing that isn't working is samba/cups printing.

When i do a "grep -r '/opt/samba4' /var/lib/samba" i can see, that there are binary files that still includes the old samba path.

These files are:
/var/lib/samba/var/cache/printing/printer1.tdb.
/var/lib/samba/var/cache/printing/printer2.tdb.
etc.

Is there a way to change the path in this files, or to clean this cache folder? Maybe printing is working after this.
I think it will save a lot of work, if i only need to fix the print server problem instead of setting up a new server and migrate all services.