[Samba] on symbolic links

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Thu May 19 13:12:12 UTC 2016

Jeremy Allison schreef op 19-05-2016 2:09:
> On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 11:54:49PM +0200, Xen wrote:
>> I'm using samba to mount a share from a linux device onto a linux
>> computer.
>>
>> Obviously, for some reason, I can *see* the symbolic links as links,
>> however I cannot delete or create them. But the only Linux/Unix
>> alternative seems to be NFS, which is not really suited for what I
>> want (annoyance with users having to map, etc.)
>
> What version of Samba ? What version of Linux ?
>
> Samba supports the UNIX extensions, which should
> fully allow creation/manipulation of symlinks
> on ther server from the cifsfs client.

Right, good to know. The client is probably not going to be a problem.
The server.....

Is version 3.6.9 but it is built by a Synology (NAS).

Thank you for the pointer.

I had to set both:

     unix extensions=yes
     follow symlinks=yes

On the server. Problem solved :).

Apparently there was this option in the Synology interface as well.
However I probably unlinked the script that regenerates the config, and
also, it probably didn't set the first parameter. I have verified that
they need both.

VERY HAPPY :D.

There doesn't seem to be an issue on Windows, although I haven't tested
what will happen if I delete a symlink on there (they show up as regular
directories). But just works perfect now. Thank you.

Regards.