[Samba] Error with "samba-tool ntacl get --as-sddl"

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed May 18 19:28:09 UTC 2016

On 18/05/16 19:59, Miguel Medalha wrote:

>> Hi, this is because when you use '--as-sddl', the python code does this:
>>
>>         if as_sddl:
>>             try:
>>                 domain_sid = security.dom_sid(samdb.domain_sid)
>>             except:
>>                 raise CommandError("Unable to read domain SID from
>> configuration files")
>>             self.outf.write(acl.as_sddl(domain_sid)+"\n")
>>
>> Or to put it in English, it tries to get the Domain SID from sam.ldb
>> and this doesn't exist on a member server.
>>

> And yet the member server "knows" what the Domain SID is (as shown by
> "net getdomainsid"). Isn't a file server exactly the place where
> setting ACEs using the sddl format would be the most useful? Can this
> limitation be removed or was it "by design"?

I think that when the command was written, it was expected to be only
run on a DC, don't forget 3.6 was still being produced then.

Can it be made to work on a domain member, probably yes, the command
just needs to be able to connect to a DC to get the domain SID, or
another way found to get the SID. If you understand python, you could
always provide a patch yourself.

Rowland