[Samba] Compile Samba for Windows Use - SMBClient.exe mainly

Allan P. Dynes ADynes at WHGardiner.com
Mon May 16 15:20:26 UTC 2016

The couple people that did successfully compile it it seems were on Windows XP. I'm going to start up a 32-bit XP machine virtual machine and install only cygwin and what I believe are the dependencies and see how far I can get.   I'm currently out of town so I'll try it either later in the week or next week.

-------- Original message --------
From: Jeff Sadowski <jeff.sadowski at gmail.com>
Date: 5/16/16 10:52 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>
Cc: "Allan P. Dynes" <ADynes at WHGardiner.com>, samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: Re: [Samba] Compile Samba for Windows Use - SMBClient.exe mainly

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 12:52 AM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org<mailto:abartlet at samba.org>> wrote:
On Sat, 2016-05-14 at 16:03 -0600, Jeff Sadowski wrote:
> When I saw this thread the other day I had to try myself just to see
> what would happen. I installed cygwin with all the build tools I'd
> think I needed gcc g++ make autoconfig.
>
> I ran "./configure --without-ad-dc" as it complained when I left out
> that argument.
> the first couple times configure complained about xxx missing and I
> installed xxx then
> configure just aborted after running a while without listing what was
> missing.
> It just said error
>
> I was going to look what packages where recommended to compile samba
> but couldn't find a good page myself.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Operating_system_requirements/Dependen
cies_-_Libraries_and_programs

I have most of that installed accept the obvious
Can't install acl, xattr, pam, cups

blkid: I have libblkid1 and libblkid-devel installed
I could not find bsd or setproctitle

I tryed configure as follows
./configure --without-ad-dc --without-pam > configure-2016-05-16.log 2>&1

and attached the configure-2016-05-16.log file nothing really jumps out at me why it is failing.

Checking for openpty                                                                            : ok
Checking for header linux/sockios.h                                                             : no
Checking for header linux/ethtool.h                                                             : no
Checking linker accepts -Wl,-no-undefined                                                       : yes
Checking linker accepts ['-undefined', 'dynamic_lookup']                                        : no
Checking linker accepts -Wl,--as-needed                                                         : yes
Checking for -lc not needed                                                                     : ok
Checking configure summary                                                                      : not found
configure summary failed

Or is that how it is suppose to end?