[Samba] Fwd: Not able to join windows 10 clients to samba 3.6.23 NT4 Style PDC

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Mon May 16 13:27:49 UTC 2016

If this is an NT4-style domain, then DNS is not essential.    Things
like SRV records aren't relevant since a lot of the NT4 is back from the
NetBios days.        It looks like your Win 10 machine thinks it is
trying to join an AD domain.      Windows clients machines typically are
using DNS to resolve server names to IP addresses.   However DNS does
not provide info on locating PDC's and BDC's.  That is better handled
with the use of a WINS server (Windows Internet Naming) which is
basically name looking up for "netbios" names and services.

I have configured my PDC to be the WINS server.

In my smb.conf on member server

    security = domain
    domain master = no
    domain logons = no
     name resolve order =  host wins  bcast
     workgroup = MYDOMAIN
     wins server = IP_OF_PDC

For a classic domain, make sure you have NOT disable NBT (netbios over
tcp/ip) on the client machines.  By default it is left enabled.