[Samba] Samba slow on MacOSX Yosemite

Jonathan Hunter jmhunter1 at gmail.com
Sat May 14 09:12:23 UTC 2016

Hi Kai,

(I recognised your smb.conf - I have your 'Samba sharing with undelete'
blog post bookmarked at the moment to try for myself, so thank you for that
one!)

Is this performance issue something recent, or has it always been a similar
speed? I also find my samba shares to be very slow to obtain directory
listings in Finder on OSX.

If something has changed recently and it is running slower than previously,
ignore the rest of this message.. but otherwise I'll assume you mean that
nothing has changed recently, and that it's behaving normally but at a
slower speed than you'd want - which would then match my experience.

My next line of attack here was going to be to implement vfs_fruit, as I do
recall reading that it had performance benefits for OSX clients. If you
search the samba mailing list for 'Migration to vfs_fruit with existing
AppleDouble files?' you will find a thread that should be useful (I hope -
I haven't yet tried it for myself!). I'm not sure what documentation /
HOWTOs exist for vfs_fruit beyond https://www.mankier.com/8/vfs_fruit
though.

The key performance improvement I'd expect is via the fruit:aapl extension
(on by default) :
"... directory enumeration is enriched with Mac relevant filesystem
metadata (UNIX mode, FinderInfo, resource fork size and effective
permission), as a result the Mac client doesn't need to fetch this metadata
individuallly per directory entry resulting in an often tremendous
performance increase."

Let us know how you get on!

Cheers

Jonathan

On 14 May 2016 at 06:52, Kai Hendry <kai.hendry at gmail.com> wrote:

> Samba is very slow through Finder on our Gigabit network (she's using
> a USB3 adaptor), especially when it comes to listings and such on my
> wife's computer.
>
> This is my samba configuration on Archlinux:
> http://s.natalian.org/2016-05-14/smb.conf
>
> (I'm always running the latest
> https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/samba/)
>
> And this what the mount looks like on the MBP:
>
> //rufie at NUC._smb._tcp.local/raid1 on /Volumes/raid1 (smbfs, nodev,
> nosuid, mounted by rufie)
> MBP:~ hendry$ sw_vers -productVersion
> 10.10.5
>

> Am I missing a trick?
>

> Kind regards,
>
> --

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research,
would it?"
      - Albert Einstein