[Samba] 4.4.3 on CentOS 6: no guest login

Tom Yates madhatter at teaparty.net
Fri May 13 12:34:31 UTC 2016

I have built 4.4.3 on CentOS 6, with a fairly minimalist smb.conf,
provisioned the domain as per the wiki [1], and cannot get past test one:

[root at frodo ~]# smbclient -L localhost -U%
Domain=[ADTEST] OS=[Windows 6.1] Server=[Samba 4.4.3]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_DISCONNECTED

I can get output if I specify a username, and give a password, but
anonymous access seems to be blocked.

[root at frodo etc]# smbclient -L localhost -Ugeoff
Enter geoff's password:
Domain=[ADTEST] OS=[Windows 6.1] Server=[Samba 4.4.3]

         Sharename       Type      Comment
         ---------       ----      -------
         netlogon        Disk
         sysvol          Disk
         big             Disk
         IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 4.4.3)
Domain=[ADTEST] OS=[Windows 6.1] Server=[Samba 4.4.3]

         Server               Comment
         ---------            -------

         Workgroup            Master
         ---------            -------

My smb.conf, such as it is (I have redacted the domain name):

[root at frodo etc]# cat smb.conf
# Global parameters
[global]
         netbios name = FRODO
         realm = ADTEST.XXXX.CO.UK
         workgroup = ADTEST
         dns forwarder = 212.23.3.100
         idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
         log level = 1
         guest ok = yes

[netlogon]
         path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/adtest.xxxx.co.uk/scripts
         read only = No

[sysvol]
         read only = No

[big]
         path = /big
         read only = No

Am I misunderstanding the wiki?  Or is this test unimportant, and I
should just move on?  Thanks for any light anyone can shed.

--

       Tom Yates  -  http://www.teaparty.net

[1]
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller