[Samba] Change Password after expired

Charles-Henri Falconnet charles-henri.falconnet at univ-fcomte.fr
Wed May 11 08:03:00 UTC 2016

Hi list,

Same wish here!
I'd like my users to change their password using LTB (great tool) but
since 4.2.10 (debian jessie) I lost the connection to samba4.
I tried using TLS and port 636 in LTB's config.inc.php with a dedicated
user and put the self signed AC from private/tls but it didn't work.
Before the upgrade, i was on samba 4.1.17 (debian jessie) and simple
bind on port 389 for LTB and it worked great.
I read https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.2.10.html and the apt
listchanges of Andrew Bartlett

I'm stuck since the upgrade. I tried to change the new parameters to
downgrade security but it didn't work (and i don't want less security).
The active directory works, users can authenticate and access a separate
member files server.

My smb.conf

[global]
         workgroup = CHRONO-DOM
         realm = CHRONO-DOM.LAN
         netbios name = DMZ-PVE-SRV9
         dns forwarder = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
         idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
         load printers = no
         printing = bsd
         printcap name = /dev/null
         disable spoolss = yes
         idmap config * : backend = tdb
         idmap config * : range = 2000-2999
         idmap config CHRONO-DOM : backend = ad
         idmap config CHRONO-DOM : range = 10000-29999
         winbind nss info = rfc2307
         winbind enum users = yes
         winbind enum groups = yes
         acl map full control = yes
         syslog = 0
         log level = 7 auth:10 winbind:10
         tls verify peer = ca_only

[netlogon]
         path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/chrono-dom.lan/scripts
         read only = No

[sysvol]
         path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
         read only = No

On the LAMP server with LTB Self Service Password and other web apps i
configure the ldap.conf with
TLS_CACERT     /etc/ssl/ca_chrono-dom.lan.pem
TLS_REQCERT    never
and the read mode bit for other

With openssl s_client -showcerts -connect dmz-pve-srv9.chrono-dom.lan:636
or openssl s_client -CAfile <path to the self signed CA> -showcerts
-connect dmz-pve-srv9.chrono-dom.lan:636
returns Verify return code: 18 (self signed certificate) but i don't
think that can be a problem.

I appreciate some help.

Charles