[Samba] Samba4 AD DNS -- AD Subdomain vs Clients accessing on different subdomain

Thomas Maerz tmaerz at brewerscience.com
Fri May 6 17:55:36 UTC 2016

Mathias,

You seem to have a pretty good grasp on my problem. I checked and the machine thinks it’s hostname was on the root companyname.com domain. I’ve changed this to ad.companyname.com to see if that makes any difference. I also provisioned a Server 2016 TP5 vanilla AD tree to see if the issue is reproducible on an actual Microsoft domain controller. If I have time I will run tcpdump to see what’s happening under the hood and report back.

Thanks for the input!
Thomas

> On May 6, 2016, at 7:01 AM, mathias dufresne <infractory at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 05/05/16 21:46, Thomas Maerz wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> We have an issue we’ve been struggling with for quite some time since we
>>> rolled out 10 Samba4 domain controllers at our main office and all remote
>>> sites about 3 years ago.
>>>
>>> Simplified Current Configuration:
>>>
>>> 2 DCs at main site with internal DNS using subdomain ad.companyname.com
>>> 2 BIND CentOS servers serving all intranet DNS requests — main zone:
>>> companyname.com
>>> 2 BIND CentOS servers serving all external site DNS requests — main zone: