[Samba] Samba4 AD DNS -- AD Subdomain vs Clients accessing on different subdomain

Thomas Maerz tmaerz at brewerscience.com
Fri May 6 17:49:09 UTC 2016

> Clients are not being pointed correctly, clients joined to the domain should be pointed at the DCs first, anything they do not know, they ask their forwarders.

Although I agree that what you’re suggesting is a sane configuration, there are other ways to do it and I have tried it both ways. As I’ve explained in my first post, curgently all clients are pointed at BIND servers which forward all requests for ad.companyname.com to the S4 AD DC DNS servers. The S4 AD servers are authoritative for zone ad.companyname.com. The zone is resolvable whether or not you point at the BIND servers or the DCs directly.

> He needs to stop using his main DNS servers for queries about the AD domain and as you have pointed out, his clients need to use the DNS domain name of the AD DCs

My DNS configuration is working — BUT I have also pointed the clients directly at the Samba4 domain controller DNS servers and that does not make any difference. Few of the computers are joined to the domain (They are macs). This domain is primarily used for authentication.

Thomas Maerz
Network/Systems Administrator
Brewer Science, Inc.
A+ NET+ CCENT MCDST
tmaerz at brewerscience.com <mailto:tmaerz at brewerscience.com>
work: 	573-364-0444 x1402
cell:		573-612-1349

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message (and any of its attachments) is intended for the addressee and may contain confidential information, may be attorney-client privileged, and may constitute inside or non-public information under federal or state laws. Unauthorized use of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this email transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender by return email, delete the email and any attachments, and empty any folders containing the discarded information.