[Samba] NS Records for AD-Integrated Zones

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Mon May 2 10:02:15 UTC 2016

Hi,

As far as I have understood DNS protocol NS records are not necessarily
needed.

NS are used by name servers (ie by DNS servers) and not by client (ie by a
Linux or Windows box joined to AD).

A client use its own resolver (what is defined into /etc/resolv.conf for a
linux box) and send all queries to that resolver. Queries are for A, AAAA,
SRV, CNAME... because all of them are standard queries.

Aksing for NS should happen only when a resolver don't know how to reach a
zone. Client don't bother with zones. They deal with records. Only resolver
would bother with zone's NS in case that resolver don't know how to resolve
some record on that zone.

In AD we usually configure AD DNS as resolver. As resolvers know the both
AD zones, they don't need NS for these zones.

Even if you prefer to use your company DNS servers, you can configure these
company-name-servers to know where to send DNS requests which concern AD
zones (for example: two zones with type = forward on the
company-name-server):

# needed
zone ad.domain.tld {
  type forward;
  forward only;
  forwarders {
    <IP for DC1>;
    <IP for DC2>;
  }
}
# optional because that's a sub-zone, it's part of the previous one.
zone _msdcs.ad.domain.tld {
  type forward;
  forward only;
  forwarders {
    <IP for DC1>;
    <IP for DC2>;
  }
}

Having NS auto-declared would be nice but, to me, that's not critical.