[Samba] Samba configuration for a home share

Kai Hendry kai.hendry at gmail.com
Mon May 2 06:12:21 UTC 2016

Hi there,

Like hopefully many of you guys, I'm struggling to maintain my
family's media & the video footage I'm taking of late. Especially
since everything is expected to be accessible from Archlinux, Windows
& MacOSX.

I think after spending the odd hour here and there... finally I have
good configuration I'd like to share:
http://dabase.com/blog/Samba_sharing_with_undelete/

Yes, I had to force root user to get over my permissions issues. What
we store there is open to us all.

Unfortunately I had to set up accounts for each user since MacOSX
wouldn't browse otherwise. I am little confused why on Arch I had to
setup a system account as well as smbpasswd to seemingly get
authentication to work.
https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/samba

I have no idea where the passwords are stored. Do you?

Another issue with the packaging or samba itself is despite the log
level 3, it doesn't really log very much to `journalctl -u smbd -f`.

I use the "recycle:repository = DELETED" feature, which works great.
But I am little worried someone in my household will accidentally
delete that too. Next I need some job to delete stuff from that
DELETED dir after 90 days or something.

Just thought I'd share & if you have any further tips, please let me know.

Thank you!