[Samba] Upgrading Samba 3 to Samba 4 - Domain Controller unreachable

Luke Barone lukebarone at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 18:21:00 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I upgraded Samba 3 to 4 when doing a Debian Wheezy to Jessie upgrade over
the last couple of weeks. Most things worked, but now that staff are back,
we're seeing more and more issues.

Computers are logging in using their cached credentials only. The computers
are not using updated password information from the server anymore. The
computers will not connect to the server via it's NetBIOS name unless I add
the entry under the hosts and lmhosts file on each workstation (which is a
pain...). My remote management won't work either for using the server
credentials, I need to use a local username and password.

It's running Samba 4.1.17-debian, as a Windows NT Domain Controller, NOT
Active Directory.

I have also edited the /etc/nsswitch.conf file so that:

passwd:       files winbind
shadow:       files
group:        files winbind
hosts:          files wins

instead of:
passwd:         compat
group:          compat
shadow:         compat
hosts:         files dns

... based on advice around the getpwuid error that seems so famous.

My goal is to get this up and running *properly* without needing to touch
every computer, and so that user changes (i.e. password changes, new users,
users getting deleted, etc) take effect immediately.

If I need to post other config files, please let me know