[Samba] Windows 10

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 17:21:55 UTC 2016

> Sounds like a strange policy, but do you mean you cannot have a dns server
> that connects to the internet or just you cannot have a dns server ?

I can not have any of my linux machines connect in any way to the
internet or the company servers. I could install a dns server with no
forwarders as long as it is not on the company network.

> If the former, you should be aware that you do not have to connect an AD
> domain to the internet, you just need the dns server to find the other
> domain machines and the DCs, or in other words, don't forward anything
> outside the domain.

So I can have the samba dns listed as a dns server on the clients on
the private network nic and also the company dns servers listed on the
company network nic? I thought that the dns lookup would look to the
first dns server (and if it was the private samba dns server that did
not forward) this would fail then the client machines would not be
able to resolve any internet or company addresses.

Thanks,
John