[Samba] Windows 10

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Thu Mar 31 17:47:14 UTC 2016

Hello Ute,

Am 31.03.2016 um 16:24 schrieb Korn, Ute:
> I can bind the clients to the domain without any problem. Afterwards I want to login in the domain, I get the error,
>
> no logonserver available
>
> I can change in the smb conf max protocol to NT1  -> now it is possible to login with user xxx in the domain
>
> We don't want to use our samba server with the NT1 setting, so I will delete this setting
>
> Now it is still possible to login with user xxx , but if I want to login with another user, I get the same error message
>
> no logonserver available
>

> is it at this time still possible to work with windows 10 and samba only with the NT1 protocol?

SMB1 seems to be the only way, if you don't want/can't migrate to Samba AD.

MS skipped NT4 support already some Windows versions ago. So you need to
accept some limitations. However you should really think about moving to
AD. Maybe some day MS shipps an update for a current Windows OS, that
breaks the NT4 stuff.

However, to limit the PDC to SMB1-only is much better than disabling all
newer versions on each client, like some guides on the internet suggest.
If you want the improvements of newer SMB protocol versions, you can
setup a domain member server as file server. This one can of course have
newer protocol versions enabled. Only the PDC is the one you need to
limit to SMB1.

Regards,
Marc