[Samba] samba 3.6 client signing

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Mar 31 15:58:35 UTC 2016

On 31/03/16 16:09, Reardon, Timothy CONTRACTOR @ ERD-NH wrote:
> Hi
> We have 2 servers running samba
> 1 is linux 7 /samba 4.2.3
> 1 is linux 6 /samba 3.6.23-25.0.1
>
> Both are joined to a Windows Domain
> Both use ADS for security (we use CAC on the client)
>
> Recently users of the samba 3.6 shares have been having trouble connecting
>
> The issue seems to be theclient  registry setting :
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanworkstation\parameters\EnableSecuritySignature
>
> Users cant connect to the 3.6 shares with it enabled
> They can connect to the 4.2.3 shares
>
> We have tried server side smb.conf settings but no luck
> They can only connect when  the client registry key is disabled
> (and this violates a STIG)
>
> Anyone seen this?
>
> Thoughts?
> Thx
> tim
>
> Tim Reardon - GCED/GCFA/GCIH/GISP/GSEC
> RS/GIS CX Systems Administrator
> ERDC-CRREL
> Hanover,NH 03755
> 603-646-4332
> Timothy.P.Reardon at usace.army.mil

I take it that when you say 'Linux 7' & 'Linux 6' , there is either the
letters R H E or the word Centos in front of the word 'Linux' :-)

Is there anyway you can upgrade the 'Linux 6' machines to 'Linux 7' ?

This will get you away from the EOL Samba 3.6, for as far as I am aware,
only supported Samba versions will get any further updates.

Rowland

linux 6