[Samba] Winbind doesn't honor rfc2307 data set in AD (Samba 4.3.6 on Debian jessie)

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Mar 24 11:33:52 UTC 2016

On 24/03/16 11:24, Simone Rossetto wrote:
> Hi Rowland,
>
>> You are hitting one of the problems with using a DC as a fileserver, you
>> only get uidNumber & gidNumber attributes from AD.
> You means that there is no way to use loginshell and homedir from AD
> in the DC? While in other domain members it will work?

As I said, you can set the users homedir & shell with the template
lines, these will set them for all users, you cannot set them individually.
It is very different on a domain member, here all the RFC2307 attributes
are available and you can have individual homedir paths & login shells.

Also before anybody mentions them, you can use sssd or nlscd on the DC,
but neither of these are Samba products and Samba only recommends using
winbind.

Rowland