[Samba] samba4: Separation of DC from the File Server and Roaming Profiles

rawi only4com at web.de
Tue Mar 22 10:04:08 UTC 2016

>> Yes, I saw many tutorials, but many are showing how to set a DC and also
the
>> shares on it self; what it is not recommended.
>> Others are showing how to manage Users with Windows tools.
>>
>>> If you set the attributes in the user objects, you can use ldbedit. To
>>> do it via GPO, you have to use the Windows tools. However it allows you
>>> to define it per domain or container, so you only have to do it once,
>>> until you need to change something.
>>

>You don't set logon & profiles in smb.conf with AD, you set them with
>various attributes in the users object in AD.

Rowland, thank you.

this is the piece of info, that it is no chance to set this things once per
domain with linux tools.
LDBEdit will do it per user.

> you could worse than to browse the Samba wiki:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Main_Page
>
> Paying particular attention to:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Implementing_roaming_profiles

Yes I red them. In the last link is shown, how to define profiles in a share
on the DC, what one shouldn't do, like stated in another samba wiki

Best regards