[Samba] Where are People Storing CTDB's Accounting Files?

Amitay Isaacs amitay at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 03:01:17 UTC 2016

Hi Stewart,

On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 6:21 AM, Howard, Stewart Jameson <sjhoward at iu.edu>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> We're using CTDB to cluster protocols over a large SAN and have had some
> pain related to a bit of a design flaw:  we store CTDB and
> protocol-specific accounting files (recovery locks, state files, etc) on
> the same filesystem that we're offering through CTDB itself.  This makes
> our front-end services pretty intolerant of flapping in the back-end
> filesystem, which is obviously not desirable.

If the backend storage and filesystem is not stable or reliable, then I
would advise against storing any state in the shared filesystem.

> We're planning a redesign for this and were wondering what other people in
> similar environments are doing with the their CTDB shared files.
> Specifically, I'm referring to the locations supplied for <shared_dir> in
> these variables:
>

> /etc/sysconfig/ctdb: CTDB_RECOVERY_LOCK=<shared_dir>
>

> /etc/sysconfig/nfs: STATD_HOSTNAME=$NFS_HOSTNAME -P <shared_dir> -H
> /etc/ctdb/statd-callout
>

> /etc/sysconfig/nfs: NFS_TICKLE_SHARED_DIRECTORY=<shared_dir>
>

> /etc/sysconfig/nfs: STATD_SHARED_DIRECTORY=<shared_dir>

Looks like you are using very old version of CTDB.  Some of the config
variables you have mentioned do not exist anymore.  The way CTDB manages
kernel nfsd has changed substantially and does not require storing any
state in the shared filesystem.

The latest CTDB versions use shared file system only for storing recovery
lock.  CTDB is pretty tolerant when checking for recovery lock on the
shared file system.  However, if you still notice problems, then CTDB can
work even without recovery lock.

Amitay.