[Samba] missing DomainDnsZones and ForestDnsZones ?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Mar 19 09:04:32 UTC 2016

On 19/03/16 04:21, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-03-18 at 18:46 -0700, r moulton wrote:
>> We didn't encounter any problems adding the new DC, albeit with
>> '--dns-backend=NONE' specified, and replication is working fine,
>> evidently. Are you saying that we might be able to use
>> samba_dnsupdate
>> to patch things up somehow?
> No, not unless your DNS server accepts GSS-TSIG updates, or you arrange
> the 'nsupdate command' not to require them (eg provide a key file and
> the right options).  Just be aware that while we originally intended
> flexibility in this area, any you continue to find remain there
> entirely by accident.  (We already have too many choices on DNS, we
> need less not more).
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Taking a hint from '(We already have too many choices on DNS, we need
less not more)', I went and had a look to see how hard it would be to
remove 'BIND_FLATFILE' from the python code.

This would be fairly easy, except I think we would have to drop support
for os_level 2000, this is because of this code in sambadns.py:

     if os_level == DS_DOMAIN_FUNCTION_2000:
         # Populating legacy dns
         logger.info("Populating CN=MicrosoftDNS,CN=System,%s" % domaindn)
         fill_dns_data_legacy(samdb, names.domainsid, domaindn,
dnsdomain, site,
                              hostname, hostip, hostip6, dnsadmins_sid)

Rowland