[Samba] missing DomainDnsZones and ForestDnsZones ?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Mar 18 21:01:32 UTC 2016

On 18/03/16 20:38, Robert Moulton wrote:

> It's a production domain. We run our own DNS and tried BIND9_DLZ but
> our DNS setup is complicated enough that we ended up resorting to
> flatfile, manually updating our BIND zone files as needed. We know it
> isn't ideal but we haven't encountered any problems until now.
>
> Couldn't we simply add the missing DNs (along with corresponding DNS
> records, if necessary)?

Thinking about it, if you do not have the dns zones in AD, you probably
don't need the dns fsmo roles.

I don't understand why you think storing DNS is AD is complicated, as
long as you don't use your normal dns domain for AD and use something
like 'internal. your.domain.com' for AD, the Samba DNS would deal with
anything for the AD domain and forward anything it doesn't know about to
your normal DNS server. It is however your AD and you can do as you please.

Rowland