[Samba] Permission denied on GPT.ini (Event ID 1058)

Sébastien Le Ray sebastien-samba at orniz.org
Fri Mar 18 17:23:48 UTC 2016

Hi list,

Having a multi-DC Samba 4.1.17 (Debian) setup, we use Computer GPOs.

Machines randomly encounter event 1058 (translation is roughly "GPO
processing failed. Windows failed to read file
\\domain\sysvol\domain\Policies\SomeGUID\gpt.ini from a domain
controller"). It seems to be an issue with computer account because
User's GPO applies nicely.

Replication (both drs show repl & ldap-cmp) shows no error nor
difference on the DC used for GPO fetching (according to tcpdump since I
found no way to get it through windows logs). Rising loglevel to 5 show
that domain\COMPUTERNAME$ is not found as an user but the same occurs
for "working" stations. ntacl sysvolreset doesn't change anything.

Can somebody point me in the right direction to troubleshoot this?

Regards