[Samba] 'Smb' server service is reason of panic of Samba 436 smbd daemon.

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Mar 17 19:43:38 UTC 2016

On 17/03/16 19:10, CpServiceSpb wrote:
> Everyone is in his (her) shoes, as following each has his (her) own
> conditions (meaning  environment) as tasks.
> And sometimes what one offers is not applicable for other one. :)
>
> > tdbsam or ldapsam, I would just use the Samba standalone server wiki
> page as a start, if I were you, this (though it doesn't show it) uses
> the tdbsam backend.
>
> Can you tell me briefly, what are diffiriencies between tdbsam and
> ldapsam within standalone server ?

tdbsam uses a database stored in a 'tdb' file on the Samba server,
ldapsam uses ldap to which can be on the Samba server or on another
machine. You can use the ldap server for other things, such as a
mailserver, squid etc, you can only use the tdbsam database with Samba.

> [Samba] 'Smb' server service is reason of panic of Samba 436 smbd
> daemon. /Rowland/, /Miguel/,// thank that told that Samba4 standalone
> server mode doesn' t require provisioning.
> As I said I got working such mode with provisioning tough with 434
> version at x32 Ubuntu.
> I simply deleted of private folder content and recreated users and all
> worked.

OK, I said you couldn't provision a standalone server or a member
server, well, you could well be correct, you can. I think your problem
was that you deleted the private dir content, you may have been able to
get it working if you did some further minor changes.

I have a 'provisioned' member server running in a VM, whilst it is
nothing like the domain member from the Samba wiki, it seems to work.

If anybody else feels like trying this, please note, this isn't
recommended and is definitely not to be used in production.

> And quite funny quiestion. I think.
> I have some Samba4 shares named by only one letter, for examle "D" .
> All are specified in uppercase.
>
> But while accessing Samba4 server all are listed in lowercase.
> And such situation seems for shares named with up to 3 letters.
> If share is called "FdWw" , it is displayed exactly as specified.
>
> How is to get shares from 1 to 3 letters name with uppercase letters ?

No idea, share names are not supposed to be case sensitive.

Rowland