[Samba] static vs shared modules build

Miguel Medalha medalist at sapo.pt
Wed Mar 16 16:43:01 UTC 2016

>>Wait -- this is supposed to still work, and I have a lot of customers that
do exactly that.
>>"vfs objects" in [global] that applies to all shares then.

I just tested it. It works until you put some other vfs module in some
share. Then it ceases to work, you have to declare it for all shares.

This works:

[global]
vfs objects = acl_xattr

[share]
/some/path

This does not work:
[global]
vfs objects = acl_xattr

[share]
/some/path
vfs objects = recycle

acl_xattr ceases to work for the share. The only way to make it work is to
declare it for all shares:

[share]
/some/path
vfs objects = acl_xattr recycle

This behavior only exist since Samba 4.x. All prior versions worked as
expected. Although it's not the worst thing in the world, it is nevertheless
somewhat of a PITA and violates a general principle that we used to trust
and cherish: global (G) parameters work in [global] and share (S) parameters
work both in (S) and in (G).