[Samba] samba4: Separation of DC from the File Server and Roaming Profiles

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Mar 16 14:20:47 UTC 2016

On 16/03/16 13:34, rawi wrote:
> Marc, thank you very much!
>
> Yes, I saw many tutorials, but many are showing how to set a DC and also the
> shares on it self; what it is not recommended.
> Others are showing how to manage Users with Windows tools.
>
>> If you set the attributes in the user objects, you can use ldbedit. To
>> do it via GPO, you have to use the Windows tools. However it allows you
>> to define it per domain or container, so you only have to do it once,
>> until you need to change something.
> Would exist an alternative to declare in an AD-DC once the logon or profiles
> path and the home path in the smb.conf, pointing to another file server
> like:
>
> homes path = //MEMBER-SERVER.abc.local/homes ?
>
> Best regards

You don't set logon & profiles in smb.conf with AD, you set them with
various attributes in the users object in AD.

you could worse than to browse the Samba wiki:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Main_Page

Paying particular attention to:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Implementing_roaming_profiles

Rowland