[Samba] static vs shared modules build

Miguel Medalha medalist at sapo.pt
Tue Mar 15 20:07:38 UTC 2016

> it may make sense to build others which you really use on every
> machine statically to not need to add them in your smb.conf

That's what I expected, too. Since then I made some experiences. I built
samba 4.3.6 with a static vfs_acl_xattr module. It is builtin alright,
it is listed under "Builtin modules" at the output of "smbd -b".

Then:
-- Comment"vfs objects = acl_xattr" from a share in smb.conf
-- Restart all Samba services
-- From Windows, create a folder "newfolder" in that same share
-- Run "getfattr -n security.NTACL newfolder". getfattr outputs
"security.NTACL: No such attribute"
-- delete folder "newfolder"
-- In smb.conf, remove comment from "vfs objects = acl_xattr" under the
same share
-- Restart all Samba services
-- From Windows, create a folder "newfolder" in that same share
-- Run "getfattr -n security.NTACL folder". getfattr finds the extended
attribute and presents it correctly.

So, it looks like our expectations about this didn't come to fruition.
Shouldn't the builtin module do its job normally?